Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Monday, June 13, 2011

To Cake Pop Or Not.....

 
For my friend Melody's baby shower, I made cake pops for the first time.  I've heard they are growing in popularity, and I love an adventure.  Definition of cake pops: cake and icing mixed together, rolled into balls, and covered with some sugary substance (I used melted chocolate and fondant).   It's a lot like a bonbon or Ho Ho.  It took me about two hours to make 20 pops while taking care of four small children.  That's my first pro.



Pros to cake pops:
1. Fast--I baked the cake and froze it until the day.  I used ready make icing.
2. Tons of ways to decorate and design.
3. Kids eat every piece not just the icing
4. Portion sizes are easy to control
5. No need to for extra cake plates, forks, or knives to cut
6. Easy clean up
7. You can get a major chocolate fix with chocolate cake, chocolate icing, and chocolate shell
8. Easy on the hands--no piping to aggravate carpal tunnel

Cons:
1. Cake and ice cream are deep in my subconscious for parties
2. The wow factor of a big cake is missing
3. Where would candles go??
4. No difference in taste between icing and cake.  I have to admit I love icing!!!



 
Here's the big spread with the cake pops in the left corner.  See what I mean...they just blend in with the other food.  I like a big wow factor with a cake!

So my final decision...cake pops are fun for special occasions, but they'll never beat a cake. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment