Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Sunday, November 28, 2010

On a quest....

I am on a quest to be the best parent I can be, and I'd love to be on the quest with you too. I need all the help I can get.  Sometimes,  I drive my husband CRAZY with all my questions and questioning. My friends call me "special".  I will not accept things just because that's how it's always been or everyone else is doing it that way. I have to stop and really think and pray about things.  Lately God has been working hard on my heart to show me that I have a lot of "worldly views" that may or may not be the best thing for MY family.  I have so much to learn and so far to come to be a Godly mom for my kids.

I have a book to thank for some of my latest journeys.  Shepherding a Child's Heart is my very very favorite parenting book of all time.  (I've read quite a bit.)  My mentor, friend, and mother of 12, Olivia, recommended this book to me many years ago.  I've read it numerous times, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

So I've decided to start a series of posts concerning my questions and journey to be the best mom I can be. 

My first topic: Choices and authority
Quest: Is giving my two and three year old children choices the best for them in the long run???
Answer: No but maybe sometimes

After reading and talking to other parents, I am convinced that some parents give their children too much authority in their lives at too young an age.   It is seems harmless while they are little to give them tons of options and choices, but what happens ten years later?   Everything is connected to the future.  It's easy to just live in the present, but I have to ask then what????  What are the spiritual implications?

Well ten years later when hormones kick in and enlightened parenting has taken root, then what.....
Children will begin to operate in the reality they know--they are their own boss.  As parents we are left to fight and plead for authority in their lives.  Some kids even believe that they are their own authority and not subject to their parents, elders, government, or even God's authority.

I think the best way to teach Clark and Joel to be good decision makers is to make good decisions for them.  Through Daddy and Mommy's example and teaching, I pray our children will learn sound judgement.  I will carefully consider the choices I let them make and the future outcomes as I let go of my God given parental authority.  As they grow older, we will slowly turn over authority and decision making power to them. 
 


"Teach your children that God loves them so much that he gave them parents to be kind authorities to teach and lead them." (Page 33)

1 comment:

  1. Jenna,
    I am looking forward to your series! I would like to read the book that you wrote about...may have to find a copy of it! Always nice to get other people's perspective on parenting, and often learn something new!

    ReplyDelete