Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How Hot Is Your Water?

I have to admit that we don't follow football, but we did the American thing last Sunday and turned on the television to watch the Superbowl.  It was the first time that our five year old and three year old had seen commericals and mainstream tv.  They had no clue what to expect, but we got them excited about the game during dinner. 

As we watch with excitement, the first commericals begin to run.  In no time, our children had been exposed to numerous alcohol ads, vampires, bars, nudity references, greed, foolishness, and various other influences that I would never let my children be around in real life.  Michael and I both reached for the remote at the same time.  With sadness but holding true to our convictions, we turned it off. 

Why did we turn it off you might wonder.  It was a great game, or at least I'm told.  We did miss it all, but I feel we gained more.  We maintained innocence and blissful ignorance today.  Yes our children will be exposed to this one day, but why should they be today?  I have to wonder if I would  never allow them to be around that in real life, why is it okay on t.v.?  My children don't have the tools they need to decipher all the media and influences.  It's my job as a parent to guard them until I feel they are ready. 

It reminded me of the frog and hot water analogy.  You know the one where if you drop a frog in a pot of hot water, he hops out.  But if you slowly increase the temperature, he'll just stay in and get boiled.  I guess we are all frogs.  We are all in pots of water with the temperature rising.  It's our job to keep our eye on the thermometer, or we will get boiled.  Not only we will get burned, but our babies will too right along side us.

Disclaimer:  These views are just  my convictions.  I don't think anyone else needs to agree with me or like what I say.  I do not in anyway think badly for those who do not think the same way.  God's grace is sufficient with all of our parenting struggles and questions.  We are all trying to do our best with what we know.  Living is a very hard job.  I hope this post will encourage you to think about where there are areas in your life that might be getting too hot.  Don't be afraid to jump out of the pot, my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment