Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Friday, July 1, 2011

CHECK! One domestic goal completed....

Well not really completed.  Just making lots of progress.

This year, one of my domestic goals was to become a better chef. And the goal for being a kitchen pro is actively being persued. 
Clark is so thankful for my kitchen experiments--most of the time.

STEP ONE: Getting Organized
I have organized all my favorite recipes in a handy dandy binder with sheet protectors.  I have a list of 14 "go to meals" if ever in a pinch and in need of inspiration.  I even have a section for recipes I want to try.  My husband has commented time and time again that he has been impressed with meals lately.  I think it's because I have been really working  hard to be organized.  I can cook better meals when I have a handle on the contents of the pantry and frig and garden.  I also plan meals one month at a time with my self created meal planner worksheet.  I plan 20 meals that includes two meals to freeze for later.  I also plan several meals that I call hospitality meals for unplanned guests.  I think good planning goes a long way at meal time.

STEP TWO: Practice, Practice, Practice
One of my kitchen goals has been to start canning.  I have great memories of my grandma and I sweating it out in her kitchen for days canning all kinds of things when the harvest came in.  

So with the help of my domestic diva mother-in-law, I have learned how to "can".  I have made plum jelly under her supervision.  And today, I ventured on my own and made strawberry jam!!!!  And it's DELICIOUS!  I was surprised how easy it was.  The cost per pint jar of jam was 80 cents verses several dollars at the store. (That is not counting the cost of the jars since I will use them over and over.)  What a deal!

Next on my agenda is canning blackberry jelly and salsa from my garden veggies!!!!  :-) YUMMY!!!

So do you have any domestic goals?  I'd love to hear about what you are working on!

No comments:

Post a Comment